Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pedal Boat Crank Project

Today I started to tinker around with the pedal boat. The first project was to remove the gravel from the pedals. The tiny rocks came with the boat and make an awful squealing/grinding noise when you use the pedals. My phone was handy so I took pictures of the process.

Removed the pedal by inserting a flat object into the larger pair of slots on the pedal. Push down into each slot while gently prying apart the pedal with your fingers. Once you get one side, turn over the pedal.

After removing the pedal all the gravel fell out and left me with a rusty and pitted crank.

Sanded with 100 grit sandpaper to remove the rust and smooth out the pitting on the crank shaft. Hold the paper around the shaft and "pedal" the boat to make the work quick.

 
Crank shaft after sanding.

I masked off the area with a paper bag and sprayed it with Rustoleum.

The pedals cleaned and reinstalled on the crank. The rust stained the plastic on one of the pedals. The paint will wear off but the main purpose of the job was to remove all of that annoying gravel. I am glad that we don't visit too many beaches made of decomposed granite.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice proyect!!! Here you have your second follower.

    Greetings from Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this for my 3D modeling! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete